Friday, July 10, 2015

July 10th

This morning I joined the Afrikaans students in the vascular unit at the Universitas hospital. I got to go around and listen as the doctor presented each patient. I have been in vascular before, so a lot of it was not new to me, but it was still interesting to see the differences between treatment methods here and back in the States. After we got back from the hospital, I ate lunch with the English students and then joined them for class. Lecture today was about South African health care, so I didn't follow along as well because I don't know the political side of medicine here. We were scheduled to have a three hour lecture on surgery, but it was cancelled so we were able to start the weekend early. Later on in the evening, the medical students took us out dancing which was so much fun. I have really grown to like the students here, they have made me feel so welcome. Tomorrow morning we will be going on a tour of the city and in the afternoon the med students are taking us to play paintball, which will be quite exciting because I've never played before. Although this week had a bit of a rough start, it has been an incredible experience and I'm excited that everything is finally sorted out, so now I can just sit back, learn some medicine, and make great friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment